Monday, September 22, 2008

Poor Baby Girl


Well I have officially experienced a mother's nightmare.  On Thursday morning at 2:00 am I woke up and Evelyn was burning up with a fever.  It kept getting higher until it was to the point when they say go to the ER-for an infant that's over 100.4 in case you are interested.  Chris and I took her to this ER center that is just a few blocks away from us.  Luckily there wasn't anyone else in the waiting room so we got attention immediately, which is what we needed anyway.  I was an absolute mess, but I stayed right by her while she was poked and messed with for hours.  They were trying to find what was causing the fever but couldn't find anything.  They checked her ears, blood, chest, urine, and even her spinal fluid :( I think I will have nightmares for the rest of my life about watching her in all of that pain.  When they couldn't find anything that would be causing the fever they called our pediatrician and they admitted her to a hospital.  I rode in the ambulance with her where we stayed until Saturday afternoon.  They watched all of her cultures to see if any bacteria or infection would grow over the 48 hours.  Luckily nothing did, which means she either had a little virus or it was just a "fluke".  That's the scariest fluke I have ever heard of in my life!  So my poor baby was back in the hospital way to soon, and she has now officially had more medical procedures performed on her in her 7 week life then I have had in 21 years!

Daddy and Evelyn sleeping on the sofa bed...I guess she inherited this sleeping position from him.
The most wonderful thing ever.  The little monitor around her foot made it possible for this sleep deprived Mom to get some shut-eye.  It monitored her blood oxygen levels and heart rate.  Translation: If she stops breathing it will sound an alarm!  Can I get one of these to use at home?
Is this not the scariest crib you have ever seen in your life?  I think it belongs in a horror movie or torture chamber.  Don't worry, Evelyn did not sleep in it once.  We had some fun with it though... 
The little princess got to sleep in a cart from the newborn nursery instead, it was much more friendly.  At 8 pounds even she is still the size of plenty of newborns!  One morning when Chris ran home to visit Molly this is where she ended up, snug with Mom!  So we survived our first child sickness, thanks for all the thoughts and prayers for those of you who knew what was going on!  We are all home and doing fine.

3 comments:

Quinn and Linds said...

I am so glad to hear little Eve is doing better; I was super worried when my dad called and told me she had gone to the hospital!! I bet you were sooo scared! She looks so adorable, I cannot wait to meet her!!

Annette said...

I'm glad little Evelyn is doing well now. That's pretty scarry. Makes you thankful for a good healthcare system. Let us know if you guys need anything. It was fun having all you guys here and seeing the little bambino.

Megan said...

What a nightmare! We're so glad to hear that Evelyn is OK. Maybe she's actually doing you a favor by getting all the scary stuff out of the way now...? Let's hope so! :) We love and miss you guys. -Ben & Megan